Thursday, October 25, 2007

Though My Talents May Be Small

One of the many things on my desk--that actually belongs there--is a framed quote by President Hinckley, from a talk called I Believe. One part of the quote says, "My talents may not be great, but I can use them to bless the lives of others." The quote goes on, but ends like this: "I believe in the principle that I can make a difference in this world. It may be ever so small. But it will count for the greater good. The goodness of the world in which we live is the accumulated goodness of many small and seemingly inconsequential acts."

I read this over often as I set out to do my work. Because the majority of my writing is non-fiction, and designed to teach people things, it's something I like to keep in mind. My talents are considerably less than President Hinckley's, and sometimes I find myself wondering if there is even enough to make it worth the effort. But every now and then I get an email saying I helped. I may only be helping a small number of people, but as President Hinckley said, it's the accumulated small acts that add up to the good in the world. So my little morsal of encouragement or advice can be added to all the other morsals, or even the giant batches of help, and together, we writers are making a difference to someone.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

You're so right, Terrie. Even one little morsel of help is important. Have to keep reminding myself of that daily--and of that lovely old story about the starfish getting thrown back to sea by one man who recognized the difference it would make in a starfish life.

Everyone needs help--especially the youth. Fiction also has something to offer, if we let it. Thanks for the reminder.

Anonymous said...

I will always be grateful for the way your talents have blessed my life. Knowing you has made me a better person.

In my life, you *have* made a difference!

love you!
Patricia