Wednesday, October 31, 2007

With a Song in My Heart

Sorry I've been out of the loop. It's because I haven't been home for quite awhile so I haven't been able to post. Tonight I'm posting on the "off" day. Isn't Halloween always some kind of an off day?

Over the past several weeks I've been carrying a project around with me that has been very cathartic and inspirational. I would encourage all of you to try it.

Taking one of those tiny "put in your pocket" church hymn books and a notebook, I've been copying lines out of the hymns that have some special meaning to me. Then I am combining the various lines without adding any extra words and making some kind of message or talk out of the words found in the hymns. There is an accompanist who is working up background music to play while I read the text.

There is great power in the words of the hymns. Sometimes I sit weeping as I write lines like: "Prayer is the contrite sinner's voice returning from his ways, while angels in their songs rejoice and cry, 'Behold, he prays!'"

Many times I find hidden treasures in the unfamiliar hymns, or in the un-sung verses of the familiar songs. "Restore my dear Savior the light of thy face. Thy soul cheering comfort impart. And let the sweet longing for thy Holy Place bring hope to my desolate heart."

Why am I doing this? I really have no idea. Nobody asked me to do it. I just wanted to see if I could.

I think we've basically come to the point in many of our lives where we need an excuse to follow spiritual promptings. We want an assignment to justify taking time out of our busy lives to feast upon things of the spirit. I am a very busy person, but I find if I heed the spiritual nudges, I receive an uplift and more energy to deal with all the necessary things I have to do. And so right now I am copying lines out of the hymns and feeding my soul.

No comments: