Wednesday, January 2, 2008

New Year's Resolutions? I don't make 'em

by Janet

I find that New Year's resolutions set me up for failure. I'm a little vulnerable at that time of the year - I'm still recovering from Christmas and some unrealistic expectations I sometimes have for the holidays. I am putting away decorations and restoring the house to its previous condition. I'm a little overwhelmed about getting my life organized again.

I find that making a resolution or goal in the moment is far more effective for me. This kind of resolution occurs when I'm deeply involved in the creative process, such as:

I will finish this manuscript and submit it to_______. A realistic date is added.

I periodically submit articles, essays, etc. and put them on a calendar. That way, I have ongoing submissions and rejections to track, and I find more submission sources. There's never really a blank on my calendar. I'm always trying to move forward.

A few months ago, as I thought through my writing as a business as well as a creative enterprise, I determined how many workshops I will attend per year, keeping in mind what I want to accomplish by attending them. They are already blocked out on my calendar.

This new year, however, I have entered a BIAM (book in a month) activity at Tristi's blog. That may give me the incentive to finish the work in progress, which is always on my mind, but needs to be on paper, or at least on the computer screen. It will be interesting to see how I do with this challenge. If I don't complete the book by the end of January, at least I'll have made progress. And I won't kick myself if it's not done.

One resolution I make every year, though:

I will not have overdue library books.

Oops, I just checked my online library account and . . . you guessed it. Now my goal is to put library due dates on my calendar, so Outlook will nag me.

OK, OK, I just made a resolution.

No comments: